Monday, May 21, 2012

Blame Game

I can't help it. I was just made like this. I'm just being me! I'm not going to be something I'm not just to make people like me!

So, I've heard this a lot lately - I call it Disney Channel theology... It's an excuse for Christians to be lazy and not deal with sin in their life.  I've also heard a lot of "I was just raised that way". There is a grain a truth to that one, Proverbs does say to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Here's the thing, though, God gave everyone different circumstances, but only one Truth.

Now, I'm not saying life's not hard... I'm saying there hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man, but God is faithful and will not allow you to be tempted above that ye are able, but will with the temptation provide a way for you to escape that ye may be able to bear it.

Actually, I'm not saying that - God did in 1 Corinthians 10:13

We say all the time that God can forgive everyone everything they've ever done.  He is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse from all unrighteousness! AMEN!

And now that we're saved, our life does not dramatically change. I am not saying that you must be good to keep your salvation, but why must we all be victims and live our life using the past as a shield? Maybe you didn't grow up in a good home, maybe you didn't have the best parents, maybe you grew up in the perfect environment to make you into a wonderful example of God's grace!

No one can claim ignorance of truth based on their past if they are saved. If you can read this post, you have access to Truth. The Bible is available free on the internet. Google it.

Maybe it's not so much that we don't have access to Truth, as that we don't want to be humble and change our ways.  It's humbling to get saved, but let's be honest, it's easier to be humble in the privacy of your own heart with a God who you cannot physically see, then to radically change the way you are living in the full view of those who know you the best. The mocking. The questions. The persona you have built up and display whenever someone is looking must be crumbled down because you have admitted that you can't do it yourself. That kind of humility is really hard.

Least I seem to be poking only at those of you with "a past", in the negative sense of the word, let me just say, I have seen kids from excellent families go bad. I have seen kids with every excuse in the book faithfully choose His way. Anyone can blame someone else for their shortcomings. It takes guts to allow God's truth to penetrate your life.

And about just being yourself, go for it. You are a beautiful example of God's creativeness, He made you the way you are. Just remember: in Christ you are a new creature, old things are passed away, behold all things are become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)


Because of Him,
Missa

No comments:

Post a Comment