Monday, September 3, 2012

Facebook Followers (of Christ)

I've just realized a harsh truth.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. I was just Googling quotes for a project I'm doing and this one just captured the essence of my problem:

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is very difficult to verify their authenticity."
 ~Abraham Lincoln

And Facebook is the worst as far as falsified info goes. The point of Facebook is to have friends, make people like you, and show (the best parts) of your personality. There are very few people who are "real" on Facebook. I kinda think about it like a date. For an hour and a half you and the other person are on their very best behavior.  Girls spend literally hours on hair, makeup, and wardrobe - and I'm sure guys at least take a few extra minutes to apply deodorant..... maybe.  :)

The problem is, the only thing you see is the very best, and most of the time it's not the real person. 

Are we, as a society, turning into Facebook Followers (of Christ)? What's super popular right now is to share nice pictures with "Christianese" quotes:




I really think the last one is so sad. Really? I don't love God if I don't share this picture? Wow, what a horrible person I am! 

There are pages "Like if you love Jesus!" "Jesus is my Superman!" "I love Jesus Online"

Just so everyone knows, if you don't have an awesome blog like mine, post at least once a month, and share this link with 100 of your best friends, God will deny you before the angels at the final judgment! 

How ridiculous!!!!!!!

And here's the thing, these things are posted by people who then go on to live like the rest of the world.  

I want to see REAL Christians. What did you read in your Bible today, and how does it apply to your life?  What has God been teaching you through (insert name of any person in your life)? 

I'm not saying you shouldn't maintain a Christian testimony,but maybe we need to re-learn what it means to be a Christian. 

Oh, and this doesn't just apply to Facebook.  If you have a Christian bumper sticker on your car, drive like a Christian. Instead of taking the social time at Church complaining (or bragging) about your past week, take time to encourage the other believers. If our lives are changed and we are doing all things to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31, Col 3:17, etc), then we really need to live it.

Being a Christian is a 24/7 responsibility.  Stop letting Facebook be your daily Christianity "date".

Because of Him,
Missa

No comments:

Post a Comment