Sunday, July 8, 2012

That I May Know Him


At the beginning of the summer, during one of our meetings, someone threw out the term “knowing God” and that just brought a huge slew of questions:

Why do I want to know God?
If we have all eternity with Him, does it really matter?
Does it matter if I don’t want to know Him? Other than being ungrateful, I mean.

I had been meditating on this off and on for six weeks, and hadn’t really come to a definite conclusion other than that I knew I wanted to know Him more, and I am completely insufficient in my knowledge.

But during this morning’s staff renewal message, I hit upon the answer, or at least the first part of the answer.  I’m pretty sure I’ll be learning more and more of the answer.

1 John 4:19 We love Him because He first loved us.
Philippians 3:8-10  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for Whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death.

We should want to know Him because He loves us, because we are nothing without Him, because He is working in us by His power. Knowledge of God is the highest goal in a Christian’s life. It is a continuing unending goal. I wonder if even with all eternity it is even possible for us begin to comprehend the mind of God, and how He works all things together.

And consider 1 Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.  Knowing God and allowing that knowledge to change us, gives us a glimpse of that life which is waiting for us in heaven. We can develop our body, but in all honesty, our body will die, and it is our soul which will continue on.  I know people who spend hours daily at the gym, building up  something that has a chronic condition of decay which all suffer from, and which cannot be reversed.  We shouldn’t neglect the temple of God, but can we  put at least as much effort into growing spiritually?



I’m not there yet. I have not attained, but God is working in me, both to will and to do His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13)

Because of Him,
Missa

No comments:

Post a Comment