Saturday, July 21, 2012

♪♫ I don't need anything......... But You ♫♪

What do we need to have everything?  What will satisfy us?  When will we be perfect?  When have we achieved the dream life?

I've been thinking a lot about Colossians 2:10 "and ye are complete in Him[Christ], which is the head of all principality and power."

It's easy to fall into the trap as a Christian to become all consumed with "what's next". If only I had ..... that car, that job, that boyfriend/girlfriend, the latest electronic, or whatever it is you or I may want, then I could be content.  But the thing is, you will never be content if you are continuing to dwell on "what's next". There will always be something new, and until you rest in the contentment of knowing Christ.

Now that is a very good thought indeed, but, alas, although the above is definitely something taught in Scripture (see Exodus 20:17), that's not exactly what this passage means. Consider the context:

For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh;
That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Colossians 2:1-10


I propose that completeness is God, is completeness in His wisdom and knowledge. Our insufficiency is never more manifest when compared to God's all-sufficiency.  We have direct access to Him through prayer. "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1:5

I was speaking with a friend at lunch, and he told me how he was learning that one must be aware of one's insufficiency, and at the same time be willing to minister.  It seems that one is either aware of their inefficiencies or ministering, not both. But that's not the point of the Christian life, to be forever bobbing on highs and lows spiritually. When we get saved, we must humbly admit that we are insufficient, and accept God's grace freely offered to us.  Now, as we live and thrive in this new life, we must continue to "...walk humbly with our God"  (Micah 6:8)

 Complete in Thee
(Aaron Wolfe)

Complete in Thee! No work of mine
May take, dear Lord, the place of Thine;
Thy blood hath pardon bought for me,
And I am now complete in Thee.

Refrain:
Yea, justified! O blessed thought!
And sanctified! Salvation wrought!
Thy blood hath pardon bought for me,
And glorified, I too, shall be!

Complete in Thee! No more shall sin,
Thy grace hath conquered, reign within;
Thy voice shall bid the tempter flee,
And I shall stand complete in Thee.

Complete in Thee—each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

Dear Savior, when before Thy bar
All tribes and tongues assembled are,
Among Thy chosen will I be,
At Thy right hand, complete in Thee.


Because of Him,
Missa

No comments:

Post a Comment