Sunday, February 5, 2017

Change, Not Work


A Christian is not someone who does Christian things, a Christian is someone who is changed.
It's so hard to explain a Christian to someone who is not. There seem to be so many rules, but we teach grace. There is so much to do, but we teach that God has done everything. There is so much for us to change, but everyday we fail, and we all know Christians who do not act like Christians.
What in the world???
How can anyone do everything right the whole time???

How can anyone be a Christian, when so much is required?


What if nothing is required to be a Christian?

I love being married. I love having a husband, someone I know is there every night, no matter what. A lot changed, though, when I got married. My schedule changed. I now live somewhere else, so my commute to work is different. When I get off work, I can't just stop on my way home if I want to, because his class schedule is such that if we want to see each other, I have to come right back. I used to work out almost every night, and call him while I was at the gym. Now, he prefers me to either be with him or to go to the gym together. It used to not matter what or if I ate dinner (or any other meal). If I was meeting with a friend for the evening, I could eat at midnight or not at all.

But why did I change? Not because I'm required to, but because I'm requested to. Or even not requested to, but because I'm so in love with my husband, that I want to do what would make him happiest. I'm his wife because I vowed to be, not because of what I do.


Another thing I would like to add, everyone's relationship with their spouse looks a little different. Not everyone has their spouse taking night classes. Maybe both or neither are. Maybe you're not working, but your husband is. That's OK. What's important is that you love your spouse the way that is best for them.
You should spend time with God every day! Read your Bible! Pray! Why? Because it's what all Christians do? No! Because this God who loves you and died for you wrote down all this information about Who He is! Listen to Him! Talk to Him! Just like I would tell a wife to spend time with her husband, it's not legalism or required performance, it just makes sense.
Now let's think about this in relation to our relationship with God. When you get saved, you should change. Your schedule should change. What you do should change. How you live should change. Not because God requires it, but because He loves you and you love Him.

You should also be going to church regularly. You should be involved in your church too. Why? Because in Hebrews we are told to not forsake assembling together with other believers because it helps us to encourage each other to love and serve others.

So... What if what we do is because we were changed and we want to love God, because He first loved us and gave Himself for us. We will not do what Christians do, we will be what Christians are.


Changed.


Because of Him,

Missa

No comments:

Post a Comment