Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dazed

Green Thunder was robbed. If you don't attend Bob Jones, you likely will not understand, but please just acknowledge that fact as true. Just like the Cardinals were robbed in their Super Bowl attempt a few years ago by a terrible call, so was the Green Thunder team of the 2013 edition of Gold Rush Daze here at the big Bob.

What am I really talking about? When I arrived on campus in January, I was already hearing things about an event coming up in March. A huge campus-wide competition that only occurs once every four years. Of all the semesters I could chose to begin my studies, I had chosen the most epic.

For two and a half months, the anticipation grew with every midnight pep rally and Facebook meme. Then the day came that the students were allowed to decorate the entire campus, and it looked like Christmas had come back to raise it's ugly head (it really did look ugly).

But, unfortunately, events began to take place that tore through the veil of friendly competition. Decorations that had taken hours to make were destroyed. Pranks were played. Some really weren't that bad, but some were pretty destructive.

And the fun stopped.

The competition continued, but the few who had gone too far made the rest of us just wish for March 12th to be over.

One day. That's all. All the planning. All the money. All the late hours decorating. All for one day. All for the "rush" of Gold Rush Daze. I enjoyed the event as much as everyone, but at the end of the day, it really just felt empty. I was hoarse, sunburned, and very tired. I never wanted to see the colors green or red again.

A whole college campus consumed with the temporary.

But, don't we all struggle in that way? Some people call it the rat race, the business of life, or just life. We are consumed with the here and now.

And I don't just mean today.

In the big picture, we have eternity to look forward to as Christians. James 4:14 shows, in a way, how God views our life: a vapor.

A vapor. A tiny puff of water that disappears as soon as it has appeared. That's all that our life is. It's nothing!

And yet it is still something. We are given the number of our days, and no more, to be used to serve God for His glory. While we are here on this earth, ours eyes should be looking for "that blessed hope" and "glorious appearing of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:13). The world wants us to see life in the view that today is all that matters; get as much of a "rush" as you can from it. Someone once said (I forget who) that for Christians, this world is as close to Hell as we can get... and for the unsaved, it is as close to heaven as they can get. If that is true, then it is no wonder the unsaved are consumed with this world and the pleasures thereof. But why do Christians become enraptured with it... even within the goal of service?

I've noticed a pattern within my own life. When my focus is on Christ and glorifying Him and looking towards His kingdom, my joy and eagerness to serve Christ knows no bounds. I cannot get enough of His Word or spending time with His people. But when my life is consumed with the here and now, I know that I am only serving for self-glorification...and oddly enough, I'm ok with that, though I have lost the true joy that comes from service.

I'm ok with that?! Yeah, well as a selfish person living in a selfish world, its easy to forget my first and only true love and look back and enjoy what I see, then to continue in life walking backwards. But walking backwards is only easy for a short time. It becomes difficult... confusing. A path that was normal and easy a month ago is now a struggle to surmount. I cannot see all of the pitfalls of sin, and thus fall into them much more easily. I begin a downward spiral, obvious only to me and those who know me the best. Still I persist until, at last, I am driven to my knees begging for forgiveness. I thought that I was standing, but I fell. (1 Corinthians 10:12)

Keep your heart and mind turned to God, and do not allow the world to daze you with its charms and entice you away from Him and the true purpose of life - glorifying Him. Make your vapor count. (Thank you Ironwood)

Because of Him,
Missa

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is such an God-thing. My mom and I were just talking about peer pressure from both those who mean well and those who don't and how we ought to not feel pressured to be like those around us rather we ought to remind ourselves of what Christ would have us to do and how we ought to live in light of what Christ has done for us and follow His example (pretty much keeping our heart and mind focused on God and glorifying Him and not ourselves).

    ReplyDelete